Monday 19 March 2012

Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

Whats the first LP* you ever bought? Mine was the glorious 'Tubular Bells' on 13th November 1976, when I was just 14... Recorded some 40 years ago this year, this 17 million selling record, sounds just as fresh as it did when I first heard it on scratchy vinyl all those years ago and then hissy as it did on my cassette bought in WHSmiths (when it sold records), in Stratford-upon-Avon.

(*LP, Cassette, Album and Record are terms used by people born before 1970 when music wasn't on CD's or MP3)...

Listening to it again still makes my hair stand on end, as it's simply wonderful and for the poor Mr. Oldfield was a bar so high, he never matched or surpassed it... a bit of a Moonlanding in Neil Armstrong's case...

My meagre achievement's in comparison make me wonder if I've had my 'Tubular' moment or I still have it to come... funny that MY drinking days came BEFORE my achievements and that Mike and Neil's were AFTER theirs...

Makes you wonder eh? Now where's my cassette player, and what WAS your first ALBUM?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.