Thursday 5 January 2012

Happy Birthday - Altered Images

I'm 18 today (yes I know I'm 49)... That's 18 years 'booze free' - a 6,573 day ultra-marathon of sobriety and in my case and one that I intend to keep running till the end of my mortal days. Now that's a huge personal challenge to live up to and a big self promise to make - but I have made that promise and I KNOW it's one that matters a tremendous amount to me...

Back in 1994, when I started my abstinence, it wasn't for life, it was just to see if I could do it for a few days or possibly a few weeks. After a few days I felt better and I knew that it was something that I couldn't do a 'U-Turn' on... and I am so glad that I haven't. It's been a long journey.

Do I still go out? Yes Do I have a good time? Yes - but then I drive home... It has made me a bit of an Alcohol bore if I am being honest and I do see lots of other people who are in the same place as I was and if they ask me, I help them out... there are far too many Wine 'One Bottle-a-Dayers' out there, and they are playing with fire I believe... I know!

What I also know is that I am 1 day away from being back at sqaure one... and thats something I can't let happen, so I will continue and will be looking forward to being 19 next year in January, God willing.

Now I'll drink to that (Milkshake in my case) and if you are worried by what you drink, please feel free to email me, there's lots of help out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.